"The mission of Phi Kappa Tau is to champion a lifelong commitment to brotherhood, learning, ethical leadership and exemplary character."
"The vision of Phi Kappa Tau is to be recognized as a leadership organization that binds men together and challenges them to improve their campuses and the world."
Psi Chapter History
Founded as Alpha Beta
November 2, 1922
Chartered as Phi Kappa Tau
February 24, 1924
A group of serious-minded students, many of whom were World War I veterans, founded Alpha Beta Fraternity in 1922. The primary organizers were James R. Hoffman and Psi Chapter alumnus H. Clay Burkholder (Franklin and Marshall, 1921). From the outset, Alpha Beta's intention was to petition to become a chapter of Phi Kappa Tau. Alpha Beta signed a three-year lease on a house at 1229 University, which formerly had been the Kappa Sigma house and was large enough to sleep thirty-five men. Alpha Beta's petition was approved, and installation ceremonies were held at the chapter house over a three-day period, concluding with a banquet on February 24, 1924, when the group officially became Psi Chapter. Charter member Ray Bushey, later a member of the National Council and winner of the Palm Award, oversaw the construction of Psi's handsome chapter house at 1150 College Ave. during 1929. It cost more than $65,000. The chapter first occupied the house in the spring of 1930. During World War II, the University took over the house and rented it to the Navy, although the Chapter retained use of the Chapter room. After the mortgage was burned in 1954, a $75,000 addition, expanding the kitchen, dining room, and basement was constructed. Psi hosted the 1964 National Convention on the Boulder campus. Convention General Chairman Ray Bushey was elected to the Nation Council, and Lou Gerding was elected National President. During a 1970's financial crisis, the National Fraternity assumed ownership of the chapter house. In the early 1990's the alumni managed to repurchase the house. Due to the great alumni support of Psi Chapter, Phi Kappa Tau still owns the house at 1150 College Avenue.
In Fall 2010, the fraternity began to work on colonizing. Starting with a total of four we doubled by Fall 2011 and moved into our first house on 16th Street. We have continued to grow and expand. In the Fall of 2012 we moved to 1127 12th Street, one block away from 1150 College Avenue.
We are proud to announce that as of February 2018, our chapter has grown to 106 brothers with 10 associate members hoping to join our ranks.
Phi Kappa Tau was founded on March 17, 1906, in the Union Literary Society Hall of Miami University's Old Main Building in Oxford, Ohio. The four honored founders were:
• Taylor Albert Borradaile
• Clinton Dewitt Boyd
• Dwight Ireneus Douglass
• William Henry Shideler
The 21 men who attended the first meeting hoped to establish themselves on campus by unifying. They agreed on the name Non-Fraternity Association because according to Founder Shideler, “A political combination of fraternities had taken charge of essentially all activities within the reach of the student body.”
Three years later, on March 6, 1909, the organization changed its name to Phrenocon, combining the proposed names, Friends, Non-Fraternity, and Comrades.
Phrenocon expanded in 1911 when a second chapter formed at Ohio University. Additional chapters were established at Ohio State University, Centre College, Mount Union College and the University of Illinois.
On March 9, 1916, the Miami chapter withdrew from the National Phrenocon in order to become a Greek-letter fraternity. They adopted the name Phi Kappa Tau, and the remaining five Phrenocon chapters agreed to the name change in December of that year. The Miami chapter was then invited to return to the national organization as the Alpha chapter of Phi Kappa Tau.
• 146 chapters chartered since 1906
• 82 active chapters
• 3 colonies
• Approximately 3,200 undergraduate members
• More than 82,000 initiates
• Largest concentration of alumni: Louisville; Cincinnati; Houston; Chicago; Cleveland; Atlanta; Seattle; Denver; Columbus, Ohio; and Lincoln, Neb.